- Morale at the State Department has eroded significantly during President Donald Trump’s first year in office.
- The dour mood has been illustrated by the ongoing outflux of important foreign policy hands and senior diplomats.
- Dismay is simmering in Foggy Bottom as China beefs up its diplomatic corps to play a bigger role around the world.
The shrinking of the US State Department and the sidelining of its diplomatic corps, the backbone of American foreign policy, were major themes during Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s first year at Foggy Bottom.
State Department employees listen to US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Washington, February 2, 2017.
- Rex Tillerson is talking about drastic action against one of the world’s biggest oil producers — again
- China and Russia have their eyes on the Arctic — and Rex Tillerson says the US is ‘late to the game’
- How Jim Mattis defused a White House confrontation that left Reince Priebus saying ‘WTF’